Introducing: Quarry Transfer

To ensure that I don’t reflect too long on the development of Brewery Pit, I thought I would also include some details of my current diorama project.

Quarry Transfer depicts transfer sidings from a raised narrow gauge system and standard gauge siding at ground level.

Quarry Transfer in development

Quarry Transfer in development

Building Quarry Transfer fits three purposes:

  1. It allows me to take pictures of my fleet of circa 1968 BR Green/Blue transition diesels (so Brewery pit can stay a circa 1948 layout).
  2. It gives me justification to build the small fleet of OO9 engine kits that I have purchased in the past few years.
  3. It allows me to experiment with some terrain effects that I haven’t had the chance to develop while building Brewery pit.

OO9?

Class 25 Diesel and OO9 gauge Ruston diesel

Class 25 Diesel and OO9 gauge Ruston diesel

For those that are unsure, OO9 is the same scale as OO (i.e. the people are the same size), but OO9 locos run on much smaller track than OO engines. The difference is depicted in the picture to the left. Note that the man in the picture could fit easily in both engines, but the smaller engine runs on much narrower track (Narrow Gauge).

Narrow gauge railways are often constructed to: traverse terrain unsuitable for larger railways; and as a cheaper alternative to developing a standard gauge railway (such as for mines, quarries and sewage workings etc.).

Trial Photos

Test placing of scenery.

Test placing of scenery.

As this diorama is primarily being produced so I can take photos of my locos, it is important that I can get a good perspective on the model with my camera. In a similar manner to how I produced Brewery Pit, I started by placing the main items of scenery and took trial pictures to see how well framed the final pictures would be (see right).

Based on this picture, I felt that although nicely framed, the OO9 locos would be obscured by their larger friends on the lower track. So I decided to raise the level of the narrow gauge track for the final layout.

Construction

Polystyrene rock-faces attacked with a hacksaw and being glued onto the back scene.

Polystyrene rock-faces attacked with a hacksaw and being glued onto the back scene.

The rocky outcrops are constructed from polystyrene, historically not one of my favourite materials. The use of a small hacksaw on the polystyrene has given a good impression of the blasted rock-face effect I was after.

Plaster bandages were used to bed in the rocky outcrops, and also as a front facing surface for the raised narrow gauge sidings. The bandages should provide a good surface to detail with some nice upland vegetation.

I haven’t worked on this project in a while (probably because I know I have to get the jigsaw out for the next step), but now the days are getting darker and colder, I will no doubt be pressing on with construction.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s