Tragedy strikes! I returned to my kit builds today to find that three of the shunter chassis’ have acquired an unhealthy gathering of rust on the wheels and axles. Alan Gibson wheels are steel and they don’t seem to have taken kindly to the flux that I have been using to solder up the chassis. This has also affected the axles inside the gearbox I built last time.
After some swearing and general moodiness, I started to investigate how best to remove the rusty residue. I was surprised to find that soaking the model in Coca Cola was a possible remedy. This is apparently due to the acidic content of Coke (there are some quite amazing you tube videos that you can watch).
I set up a Coke bath and dropped the problem parts in and to my surprise, after 2 hours soaking in coke, most of the rust had vanished, and any remaining residue could be removed with a tooth brush.
Now to find out how to stop this from happening in the future…
x5 Shunter Challenge Progress
BR Class 02 Diesel Shunter – DJH
Chassis block folded. Compensation fitted. Axles Fitted. No Rust
Sentinel post war 100HP 0-4-0VBT – RT Models
Chassis block folded. Compensation fitted. Axles Fitted. Gear Box Fitted. Rust has messed up the free running.
Ruston & Hornsby 88DS – Judith Edge
Chassis block folded. Compensation fitted. Axles Fitted. Gear box only partly completed.
11001 – Judith Edge
Chassis block folded. Compensation fitted. Axles Fitted. Rust has messed up the axles.
English Electric/Hawthorn Leslie 0-6-0DE – Judith Edge
P.S. If there are any aspects of x5 shunter challenge that you want me to cover (be it soldering, equipment… anything at all) please do leave a comment or contact me by email. I will reply. You can also follow me on twitter for instant updates.