On Sunday I completed my Drewery Class 04 tram. I sanded down some of the filler applied previously and fitted some loop couplings to the buffer beams. I also made up some three-link couplings and fitted a protection plate to the front and rear cowcatchers.
The original Bachmann whistle was filed down And fitted onto the front of the cab. Later versions of these trams had double horns fitted.
I fitted hand rails to the cab using split pins, which was quite a fiddly job. The original placement of the hand rails on the brass cab sides did not appear to be correct, so I adjusted them by filling in the previous holes and drilling new ones.
The final task was to create a mounting for the chassis. To do this I used some long bolts and drilled pilot holes into the plastic supports that are glued into the body.
Finally I sent the 04 on a test run of Brewery Pit. The body is a little low, as it bottoms out in a a few places, so I’ll adjust the height and then send the loco off to the paint shop.
The final part of ‘Modelling at Speed’ will be uploaded when the paint job is completed.
Please follow the link below for video of the Class 04 conversion so far:
The Easter holiday was very productive as I have managed to get my radio control pick-up truck working. Here is a video of its first test run:
There was a few challenges. The first was trying to get the radio controller to communicate with the pick-up truck. The next challenge was a cog slipping in the servo. I also rebuilt the steering pivot as it kept slipping off at full lock.
All the electronics are hidden underneath the blue tarpaulin (which is made of tissue and PVA glue).
The charge seems to last quite some time. It also charges back up in about 15-20 minutes.
I am very pleased with this little pick-up truck and I am looking forward to building another one. Maybe I will build something for the brewery next time around.
There has been a lengthy delay in progress on my 1/76 scale radio control track (due to the house move), but the German video I posted a few days ago gave me the enthusiasm to continue.
Today I wired up the the truck and linked it up to the radio controller for the first time.
It is only going backwards and forward at the moment. I am yet to link up the steering servo to the front axle.
Here is the video:
Day 3 consisted of replacing the rather small buffers on the Bachmann Class 04 with the slightly larger versions used on the tram version. The donor for these buffers was a disused set of buffer beams from my Heljan Falcon (blink and you will miss it in the first few seconds of the video). I then added some brake pipes and hand rails. I firstly fitted the plastic versions that came with the Bachmann model, but decided they were horridly over sized. I decided to cut them off so I could replace them with wire versions instead.
I also fitted the small exhaust on the bonnet. The 1950s tram I am building has an exhaust pipe that is barely visible. As I have not seen any aerial shots of the bonnet I have made a guess as to what this might have looked like. A taller cylinder was attached to the exhaust in the later part of the 1950s, and I did find a pipe in my ‘bits box’ that matched this perfectly, but I forced myself to refrain and stick to my plan for a tram without a full chimney.
I also noticed that the Bachmann version of the 04 has a step either side of the bonnet front that doesn’t appear to be present on the earlier tram types. I cut this off and added hand rails.
I finished off by filling in some of the gaps with model putty.
More to come in day 4….